Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Hibachi That Fed The Masses

.
I googled "blog of shadows" to see how many other blogs like this are out there. Currently, there are 213. Somehow, that led me to reading about so-called "miracles"

I'm a skeptic at heart. Just because I see something with my own eyes doesn't mean it's a miracle, or even an anomaly. The world is more interesting than society teaches us, that's all.
Which leads me to the tale of the hibachi.
Back in the 1990's (I'll have to research the date... it was after the third Pagan Picnic, maybe September 1994?) Anyway, Yarrow Coven was throwing a party for people they knew. Being typical St. Louis pagans, about half the crowd brought food. LB (Yarrow Coven's high priest) had a grill going, but there wasn't enough cooked meat to go around. So Shawn brought out a tiny little hibachi. This thing was maybe 12 X 18 inches. We're talking tiny. There were probably 15 people waiting for space on LB's grill, including my little family. We lined up by the little hibachi to wait our turn at cooking. Shawn suggested that we leave the food with him, and he'd cook it all. So we did. We came back to chat a little while later. On the grill were 3 ears of corn, a steak, and two burgers. Shawn asked my hubby, "You like 'em medium rare, right?" While pulling a burger off the grill. According to my hubby, it was done to perfection. It was even seasoned. Lord knows where the seasoning came from. Shawn turned back to the hibachi and looked perplexed. The hibachi was loaded with food; but none of it was mine. Because I wasn't hungry yet, and besides -I was waiting for the chicken we had brought. We chatted away while people came up and Shawn fed them. I swear I never saw him put food on the hibachi, yet it always had just the right thing on it for whoever came looking. I finally grew hungry, and went to get a plate. When I came back, Shawn was just pulling a piece of chicken off the grill. It was not there 60 seconds ago. And it was done to perfection.
I'm a reasonable person. I know how long it takes to cook raw meat. And I'm telling you that a square foot of cooking space fed 40+ people in 2 and a half hours. And people came back for seconds and thirds during that time. If you don't count repeat customers, the hibachi was producing a fully cooked thing (be it an ear of corn, or a pork steak) every 3.75 minutes.
We dubbed it The Hibachi That Fed The Masses, bowed to Shawn's superior cooking skills, and rejoined the party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home